Thursday, February 17, 2011

Notes for a Love Song

Rain clouds gather
as we trawl market stalls
browsing jewellery
and fancy clothes.

Raindrops chase us
to a kerbside café bar
where cappuccino-warm
we spy on passers-by.

We buy ice creams
and slide in our sandals
home through the deluge
and the weather’s funny not tragic
because we’re together.

So hand me my guitar
let me song-write the day for you
in happy love lyrics
everyone will sing along to
on summer rainy days like this.


(Yes, I know its the wrong time of year for this poem, but it seemed appropriate to link this to this month's Lets Get Lyrical campaign for Edinburgh UNESCO City of Literature.)

2 comments:

Gordon Mason said...

Wonderful, Juliet, just what I need on a freezing foggy Edinburgh morning!

sandy said...

I "liked" this today on FB, but am glad to read it again here. It sounds like a wonderful day. I too enjoy watching people.