This Category A listed building was built in 1883-86 in the Dean Village as housing for local workers. The building was commissioned by Sir John Findlay, who at one time was the proprietor of The Scotsman. He bought the land and had the old tenements cleared away so his new model housing could be built.
Well Court is a quadrangle of small flats around a central courtyard, built with distinctive red sandstone dressings. An advertisement of the period described Well Court as “providing homes of two and three rooms with conveniences, let to a respectable class of working men at rentals of £7 to £12 per annum”. There was also a meeting house where weddings, parties and functions were held. There was a resident factor, who lived in the clock tower block.
The building was extensively renovated in 2007/08.