Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Dene











The Dene is a peculiar bridge and stairway over the Water of Leith in Stockbridge, Edinburgh. It featured in a scene in the excellent Edinburgh set horror film Outcast. I haven't been able to find out anything about the history of the Dene though, so if anyone knows anything please let me know!
There are lots of interesting bridges over the Water of Leith, you can see photos of some of the others here, here and here.
.
.
Sandy over on Witterings recently posted about the Water of Leith, you can read what he said and see his photos, here.
.
As ever, coloured text takes you to other pages, where you can find out more!

8 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I'd love to get lost there. I can see why it would have been used as a horror film setting. I can well imagine Rebus wandering there. Sorry about that...

Tanya Breese said...

oh that is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

A bridge? I thought when I first saw it that i was looking at a castle. It is beautiful.

Sandy's witterings said...

A bit of head scratching involved here but I think I've got it. Are these the steps that lead down to the grassy bit with St bernards
well at the other end. Certainly not where you'd want to hang about after dark.

Lesley said...

It is a rather elaborate design.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
Like Ciel, «Louis» can see why this would be used in a horror movie!

In any case, the horror movie that is known as San Francisco Bay Daily Photo welcomes this contribution to Sunday Bridges.

dianasfaria.com said...

an amazing bridge for sure! & the others you have posted about are equally beautiful.

dianasfaria.com said...

Love your blog, consider yourself followed by me.
: )