Thursday, December 27, 2007

Best of the Year

I thought I'd share some of my favourite books and films from the last year. I buy all my books second hand so its the best of what I read this year, rather than what was published this year!

Poetry
The Spoken Word Revolution Redux edited by Mark Eleherd
Dead Redhead by Tracey Herd
I'm still reading it, but Poetry Speaks Expanded is also worth mentioning here

Novels
The Museum of Unconditional Surrender by Dubravka Ugresic
Maps by Nurrudin Farah
Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
A Gift from Nessus - William McIllvaney
The Baron in the Trees - Italo Calvino

Non-fiction
Desert Flower by Waris Dirie
Spoken Here by Mark Abley

Foreign Language
Pazze per le Borse (Crazy for Handbags) Paola Jacobbi (Italian)
Die Männer und der Seejungfrau (The Men and the Mermaid) by Wolfgang Ott (German)
Comme un Roman (Like a Novel*) by Daniel Pennac (French)
* except the English translation of the book comes under a different title I think
La Moustache (The Moustache) by Emmanuel Carrere (French)

Films
Two Days in Paris - Julie Delpy
I'm a Cyborg but That's Okay - Pan Chan-wook (Edinburgh International Film Festival)
Das Leben des Anderen (Lives of Others)
Inland Empire - David Lynch

I've posted a review of the environmentally related best of the year here on Crafty Green Poet.

Best of the Year for Booking through Thursday - with added films

7 comments:

Marianne Arkins said...

Oh, ouch... your list hurts my oh-so-shallow brain! LOL...

Happy BTT!

Linasolopoesie said...

Grazie di aver visitato il blog . Spero che verrai spesso a trovarmi
BUON ANNO ...LINA

Anonymous said...

It hurts my brain too...

LOL!

Not really. I like he poetry selections! Are in my TBR pile!

My list
!

Julia said...

Never read anything from your list...but glad to see it the best of the year :)

Happy BTT

pussreboots said...

Haven't hear of anything on your list. Oh well. :(

Crafty Green Poet said...

Marianne - lol!

Solopoesie - prego e grazie! Buono anno anche a te!

Gautami - glad you like the poetry list

Julia, pussreboots - I have pretty eclectic and obscure tastes, so its not surprising!

Jo said...

Perhaps I will reconsider Two Days in Paris then, I read a scathing review somewhere or other which put me off plus the fact that Before Sunset is a favourite film of mine, so I was worried it wouldn't match up. I will rent it tonight, thanks.