Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Alienation

I sit locked out,
my nose pressed against glass
only I know about.

You sense my distance
but cannot understand
the why of it.

The space I cannot cross.

I watch you dance
with strange disjointed steps
to music I cannot hear.

A ritual to which I can never belong.

You laugh to see me sit alone
as it I made a foolish choice
I am too proud to own.

But I cannot join
this thing that makes no sense
this thing that for me is so unreal.

I must dance to a lonelier beat.



Originally published in Spume magazine.and first published on this blog in January 2007.

***
 
I'm delighted that I have a 50 word story up now on the 50 word story website. You can read it here (and if you like it, click on the like button too!).

3 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

This poem is just so not about dancing....

Anonymous said...

Pithy capture of alienation.
I can see why ths was published!

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Blackdaisies and Gel, thanks for your comments.