Sunday, February 11, 2007

Comme un Roman - Daniel Pennac

This is a wonderful little book about why we read and how to encourage children to read. It is totally inspiring and thought provoking, though sometimes the style is a bit annoying. It includes the ten rights of the reader:

The right to not read
The right to skip pages
The right to not finish a book
The right to re-read
The right to read whatever you want
The right to 'bovarysme' (think Emma Bovary here....)
The right to read wherever you are
The right to browse
The right to read aloud
The right to stay silent

Its a must read for anyone who reads and anyone who wants to encourage others to read. And yes it is available in English, as 'Read Like a Novel' (if memory serves, i saw it in a second hand bookshop, just as I was finishing reading it in French!). Thanks to Bookcrossing for the French language version.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this so much, I "borrowed" it and posted it to my own journal, I hope you don't mind!

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI cathepsut, not at all - feel free!

PennyBlue said...

Cool beans!! Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I'll have to look for this. Sounds interesting.
So you read French?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a gem. I used to teach reading, but have focused more on writing and art workshops of late. Love these "rights" - "right on!" as the slang is here in the states for "Superb!"
The reference to Madame Bovary- one of those books I enjoyed reading in high school.
I have forgotten so much French. That's cool, J, that you are still fluent!

Crafty Green Poet said...

HI Sarala, thanks for your comment. Yes, I read French, (and German and Italian!). Gel - the fluency is only in the reading, sadly..... I don't even feel able to write half a post in French, whereas in German or Italian I do sometimes. As for speaking French, well I can't even hear it!