Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dean Bridge


This photo shows part of the Dean Bridge, which spans the Water of Leith. It was built in 1832 by Thomas Telford and offered a more direct route into Edinburgh from outlying areas. It bypassed Dean Village and helped to push it into economic decline, though these days it has recovered and is a popular and attractive suburb of Edinburgh.

The building in front of the bridge is a Category B listed building now occupied by offices, though used to be a former squash court. (Thanks Nemesis Republic for this piece of information!)


as ever, text in orange links to other websites where you can find out more.

6 comments:

Sandy's witterings said...

I live and learn (as good a reason to live as any). I didn't know Thomas Telford built the Dean bridge - he went to the same school as me (some years earlier I should point out). I passed under this very spot earlier this year in my search for Anthony Gormleys men.

When as kids we passed over this bridge while on holiday, my father always whistled Scott Skinners tune The Dean Brig O' Edinburgh. In case you're conversant with the dots - http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/8290

VioletSky said...

The arch on this bridge is very high - which I guess allows for some nice views (and perhaps a nice tall man in a saddle to pass through)

Francisca said...

Nice bridge with history... if only it could talk; imagine the personalities that crossed it or passed underneath.

Lesley said...

Great bridge - is that a toll house at the bottom?

EG CameraGirl said...

I like the angle you chose to take this photo from so we can see the little building at the foot of the bridge.

cieldequimper said...

This lovely secretive little bridge is today's favourite for me. That's because it's pretty and in Edinburgh!