Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Taking a blog break

One candle burning by itself becomes
a glitter-ball of warm beauty

but festive lights lined up in banks
on every city centre building are a nightmare
of visual overstimulation
when added to the glare
of bright rainbows and extra lights
round every traffic light,
every car headlight
and every street light. 

**

I'm having cataract surgery tomorrow and will then be taking two and a half weeks off from blogging and social media to rest my eyes. Though my Etsy shops will remain open. 

Meanwhile a cataract inspired haibun I wrote is now up on The Other Bunny, you can read it here

5 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

Sending my good wishes for your cataract surgery …

All the best Jan

Carruthers said...

I hope it went well. I had one just over a year ago as a result of having had a virectomy (a cataract is a side effect of the gas they pump into your eye). The new lens seems to work fine. I get an occasional shimmering effect around the edge very occasionally (usually early morning, and when there's a sudden change of lighting) but I'm sure the lens is working fine and it happens so rarely I find it intriguing rather than annoying!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Solitary cyclist, I get the shimmering effect too quite often!

Carruthers said...

Weird, isn't it? I don't remember anyone telling me it might happen but its clearly pretty normal.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi solitary cyclist, yes very weird and no-one told me in advance though when i mentioned it to the surgeon she said it was a common issue!