Friday, December 14, 2007

Dance!

I love dancing! When I was young I learnt tap dancing and ballet, not that I was any good at either of them! When I was a student I went to a ceilidh (Scottish country dance) every week. Ceilidhs are great fun, very sociable and the dances are fun too, though some can be downright dangerous (such as the Cumberland Courtship Dance for example, where two guys and two girls dance in a circle, culminating in the guys lifting the girls into the air and swinging them round in the circle until everyone collapses into a heap - I only ever did this dance once). While I lived in Malawi, I occasionally went to the discos in the school where I was teaching, girls only discos were a new concept to me, but the music was a wonderful mixture of African and Western including some of my own favourites from when I was growing up (eg Human League). When I returned to the UK, I didn't dance for a while, but my current partner introduced me to goth and alternative clubs and those have proven to be my favourite places to dance. Goth clubs have a great atmosphere, goths are the nicest, politest clubbers around and everyone really dresses up. There's a great age range too, from students in their late teens to people in their 40s. The music is great too, trad goth, 80s (including the ubiquitous Human League), new goth and industrial. My favourite club, though not strictly goth is Gigantor. Sadly recently oneof our favourite goth clubs has moved venue and we can't get there very often, and our other favourite goth club has been discontinued, so we're left to only dance at the occasional gig.

I wrote a poem about dancing a while back, you can read it here.


Dance for Sunday Scribblings

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the dance performed by a few tribes while courting. Would you call that mating dance?

Dance of Life

Anonymous said...

goth clubs..been awhile since I heard that used, oh yeah the student union days...some of the deejays we had then were the best.
Thank you.

UL

Devil Mood said...

How cool! I love dancing too.
I think it's one of the ways to get closest to our roots, our animal roots :)

ANA said...

I love dancing myself. I've always been a club goer, although the abundance of hip hop on this side of the country is turning me into a stay at home gal.

I love goth music, and goth people. I really like tristania, corvus corax, aphex twins, lycia, arcana, dresden dolls, android lust. Its a pity its not mainstream music...I'm sure you already know "projekt" if not, check out the projekt artists, you'll like them,

Tammy Brierly said...

I've been moving and it's nice to read your poetry again. From a tutu to goth is a long journey. I'm glad you found your groove.

paisley said...

i believe a huge part of the dance of life is feeling comfortable,, feeling like you fit in,, like you have found a place where you can be you... this was a wonderful post,, and i do believe you have found such a place....

Crafty Green Poet said...

Gautami - sometimes I think all dances are mating dances...

UL - funnily enough the goth clubs we go to are usually in the student unions, though few of the people who go are students these days...

Devil Mood - I agree with what you say there!

Ana - good list you shared there!

Tammy - you'd be surprised, lots of goth girls sometimes wear tutus! Hope your move went well, good to see you back!

Paisley - thanks! You're right!

Beau Brackish said...

I need to buy myself a pair of dancing shoes after reading your post. I've been standing on the sidelines sitting dances out far too long. Do goth clubs let married 35 guys with short hair in? I dance to The Cure around the house.

awareness said...

Hi there! I've never been to a goth club.....but I would love to go......I don't even know if there is a goth club in my home town.....most likely...it's been a while since clubbing was part of my weekend routine. The prompt this week has made me realize how much I have missed dancing and clubbing......

So, if I'm ever in Edinburgh, can I join you Crafty??

Tumblewords: said...

It's been far too long since I've danced in public, too! Greatly entertaining post!

Patois42 said...

That freedom you experience at the goth club is always what I would have needed to be able to dance. I love your progression.

Jennifer Hicks said...

the aftrican/western mix must have been intriguing!

Thanks for educating me about goth clubs - i had no idea!

I loved the way you describe your ever-changing relationship to dance in your poem.

Menopauseprincess said...

I've never been to a goth club but I love the idea it's so accepting. So cool!

dahlia and balu said...

Interesting. I've never heard of industrial goth.